20 March 2015
Care Workers to take strike action 25,26 27 March
UNISON members working for Your Choice Barnet (YCB) have agreed to escalate their strike action next week to three days, 25,26 27 March.
This will make a total of 11 days of strike action since the dispute began. This is in a bid to reverse the harsh 9.5% pay cut imposed on them by their employer.
Tonight UNISON have submitted a report to the Adults & Safeguarding Committee urging them to end the dispute and restore stability for the service.
Our report is in response to a recently published damming inspection report by Care Quality Commission (CQC) which is being discussed at the Committee this evening.
UNISON report makes two simple recommendations:
1. Bring YCB services back in-house and secure properly funded and safe services for service users.
2. Failing bringing the services back in-house; enter negotiations with YCB to discuss a more sensible funding regime which will secure improved staff morale, a more permanent, committed and better trained workforce.
UNISON Branch Secretary John Burgess said: “Our report vindicates everything we said before the service was outsourced simply ‘you can’t make a profit out of social care without implications for service delivery.’ In this case we are talking about adults with disabilities some of whom have no one to speak for them. The CQC report was one element of YCB service, but it was the first area which was decimated by redundancies which resulted in an increase use of agency staff”
Details of Picket Line details for 25,26 27 March.
1. Flower Lane Day Centre
41 Flower Lane
London NW7 2JN
2. Rosa Morrison Day Centre
83 Gloucester Road
London EN5 1NA
The start times are 7.30am to 3.30 pm
Notes to Editors.
Contact details: John Burgess Barnet UNISON on 07738389569 or 0208 359 2088 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
In February 2012 Barnet Council transferred Learning Disability and Physical and Sensory Impairment services for adults to a Local Authority Trading Company (LATC) called Your Choice Barnet (YCB). About 160 staff (145.6 Full Time Equivalents) in Adults services transferred to the LATC.
Following a restructure in 2013 and cuts to pay on shift allowances there are now only about 105 FTE working for YCB a 30% cut in staffing levels.
1. UNISON report to Adults & Safeguarding Committee 19 March 2015.
2. Member’s Item – Your Choice Barnet
3. Why UNISON Your Choice Barnet Care Workers are taking strike action.
4. UNISON Your Choice Barnet Care Workers “9 Point Flyer
5. Your Choice – in built pension burden creates artificial loss to justify pay cut http://lbbspending.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/nochoice.html
6. Sign Petition to Stop the ongoing destruction of services for adults with disabilities in Barnet