Lambeth College UCU are continuing their determined opposition to the introduction of new contracts with inferior conditions.
This week’s 2 days of strike action has been very solid. We’ve had visits to the picket lines from UCU President Dr. Liz Lawrence, our own Dr. Colin King who was dismissed during the holidays, students and lecturers from UCU and the Students Union at the University of Arts, UCU member from City University, Linda Smith from the Fire Brigades’ Union, Lambeth Unison, to mention a few.
Next strike days are Tuesday 13th, Wednesday 14th and Thursday 15th January. If no resolution next week, we will move to indefinite strike action from Monday 19th January.
Since our Ofsted inspection a few weeks ago, nothing has been indicated to staff about the overall grade at all, and several members of the senior management have resigned. These departures, combined with the deafening silence about the overall Ofsted grade, and the escalation of industrial action, indicate the level of instability which now surrounds the principal. We hope that this will result in the college engaging in meaningful talks with the unions, aimed at ending this dispute.
We have organised a number of activities to help win the dispute. Please join us and publicise far and wide:
* Teach-ins We are running very successful teach-ins at off-site venues for students and we need more space! Please email us if you are/ know a TU or organisation that can provide a room or space in Brixton, Vauxhall or Clapham.
* Join the mass rally on Monday 19 Jan – 12 midday - outside the Clapham Centre to launch the indefinite strike. Sally Hunt has been invited to speak.
* Wednesday 21 Jan 6.30pm – 8.30pm – Come to the Lambeth College UCU-hosted Public Meeting on Fighting Institutional Racism. At the Karibu Centre, Gresham Road, Brixton with Gus John. Full speaker list and flyer coming shortly
* John McDonnell MP has raised an ‘Early Day Motion’ in parliament on the Lambeth College dispute. Join the social media + letter-writing campaign to get other MPs to sign it, so we can get the debate raised in parliament. The EDM is Number 677. It’s title is Lambeth College Industrial Dispute.
* Invite us to speak at meetings.
* Join the National Demonstration in support of Lambeth College called by the National UCU office, end of January. Details out soon.
* Come to our benefit gigs. We have 2 fundraisers booked : Friday 30 Jan at the Bedford Arms in Balham and Friday 13 Feb at the Bread + Roses in Clapham.
* Write to the Chair of Governors and ask why management are not talking to the unions to negotiate an end to the dispute : Mary McCormack (Chair of the Board of Governors, Lambeth College)
* Send donations and messages of support
to Branch Secretary at email@example.com
Solidarity and best wishes
Lambeth College UCU