Firefighters lobby judicial review against the cuts

26 November 2013

Protesting firefighters say Mayor’s fire cuts will put lives at risk ahead of court hearing

A judicial review into cuts to fire and rescue services in London began at the High Court todayfbu1.

Fire Brigades Union London secretary Paul Embery said: “These cuts are reckless, wrong and will seriously endanger lives across the capital.

“If they are implemented these savings will lead to an increase in response times for four million Londoners.

“So far the Mayor has refused to listen to firefighters, his own Fire Authority and the general public. We can only hope now that the courts stop his dangerous plan before it can unfold.”

The Major of London, Boris Johnson, wants to close 10 stations, remove 14 engines and slash 588 frontline firefighter posts in an attempt to save £45m over two years.

The FBU is an ‘interested party’ to the review, which has been brought by seven local authorities and is due to end on Thursday 28 November.

94% of respondents to a public consultation on the cuts said they were opposed.

Leave a comment

Mailing List




Follow us

RSS icon facebook button twitter button email button

Our Tweets