5 May 2013
Our strike ballot has now started as members at Burton Brewery face what can only be described as a vicious assault.
Molson Coors are proposing :
• Pay for 184 of our 284 Technicians cut by £9000 per year, with the remaining 100
becoming “A” grade Technicians on the same salary
• Pay for FLT cut by £8000 per year
• Site agreement book to be destroyed and re-written by the employer
• Abolition of site agreement that protects pay for two years when shift changes result in loss of pay
• 49.5% of our 455 members facing an extreme pay cut
• Forced introduction of extreme shift working that would leave members on call or
working at least 95% of the time
• Threat to sack us all if we don’t agree to the proposals by June 14th
This attack has cast a shadow across the town, as other workers and employers watch carefully how this will end. The branch believes that employers through out the Midlands and the FDT sector nationally will also be monitoring this dispute closely.
We are a well organised site with over 90% membership. We believe that if we allow this to happen, employers will believe they can do anything, anywhere.
Our fight is every workers fight. If successful, this proposal will depress the local economy. We are told we are paid “upper tier” pay rates. Bring those rates down, and the averages come down for everybody else. Most employers now use local “market rates”, and if this attack succeeds, local rates will be coming down for everybody else – in our minds there is no doubt about that.
Our members face losing their homes. That’s how extreme these proposals are.
A ballot for strike action is underway, and we expect a resounding YES vote. The ballot closes on May 28th.
Messages of support may be sent to Burton.Brewery@unitetheunion.org or via #burtonbrewery on Twitter.
A fighting fund has been established. Cheques should be sent to the finance department at Unite’s regional office at West Bromwich. Cheques should be payable to Unite, with “Burton Brewery” written on the back.
Unite West Midlands Regional Office,Transport House,9-17 Victoria Street, West Bromwich, West Midlands, B70 8HX
Please don’t hesitate to contact me if you would like any further information regarding the dispute.