19 September 2012
The workers are facing attacks from politicians, police and their bosses. The Mena Solidarity Network reports that the wave of strikes that exploded over the weekend of 15-16 September includes:
* action by workers in 20 universities
* a national teachers’ strike
* action by Cairo bus workers
* action by textile workers in Alexandria
* action by local government workers in Sayyid Zeinab area of Cairo
* action by car workers in Port Said, chemical workers in Fayyum and many others.
The MENA Solidarity Network organises solidarity with workers across the Middle East and North Africa. It says:
If you were inspired by the Egyptian revolution in 2011 show your solidarity now!
Use the solidarity toolkit to raise support.
The toolkit includes simple ways for anyone to give solidarity to the strikers in Egypt. There are also specific action you can take if you are a teacher, public transport worker or work in a university to show support with your counterparts in Egypt.